Clifton "Boyd" Allred
1930 - 2021
{ "" }
Share Clifton's life story with friends and family
Send an Email
Or Copy this URL to Share

February 11, 1930 ˜ January 11, 2021

Our beloved dad, grandpa, great-grandpa, brother and uncle passed from this earthly life on Jan. 11, 2021, to join his sweetheart of 70 years. He was relieved from the ravages of Parkinson’s disease and memory loss. He was in the kind care of The Hampton Memory Care Center of Salmon Creek.
Boyd was born Feb. 11, 1930, to Clifton L. Allred and Bernice (Lee) Allred in Bynum, MT. He was the eldest of six children and weighed in at 12 lbs., 8 oz. He had two brothers and three sisters. He is survived by three siblings, Keith Allred (Myrtle) of Tooele, UT, Eunice Cahoon (Richard) of Hermiston, OR, and Lynne Lippy (John) of Kalispell, MT; and sister-in-law, Carol Allred of Casper, WY. He is predeceased by his parents; sister, Eva Rieben (and husband Charles), brother, Neal Allred; great-granddaughter, Roma; son-in-law, Kenneth Ray Howard; and daughter-in-law, Lisa D. (Jones) Allred.
Boyd spent his young years as a happy yet very humble boy on farms in Montana enjoying the company of cousins, family and his dog. The family moved to Charlo, MT, where he grew into a handsome young man ... met a beautiful girl who had just moved from Idaho to join her family in Montana ... they fell in love and married Sept. 14, 1949, in the Cardston Alberta Canada Temple.
Boyd and Beth set off to Dillon, MT, so Boyd could finish his second year at Western Montana College and receive his certificate to become a teacher. They both worked hard, Boyd carrying Beth on the handle bars of a bike to work in a bakery, keeping milk cold on the window ledge of their tiny apartment that had no refrigerator, sharing a common bathroom with others down the hallway. Boyd attending school and working in a grocery store. Boyd began teaching in the Evergreen School District in Kalispell, MT. He taught eight years there ... each summer going off to Eastern Washington College in Cheney, WA, working on attaining his Bachelor’s degree. Boyd also built a home in Kalispell during this time. In order to complete his degree, he took an entire year off teaching bringing Beth and four children with him. While at Eastern WA College, he found his love of science and dropped his minor study in music. Boyd was teaching band as well as other courses in MT, but there was not a classroom or a class period for band so he had to be creative and find time and places to have band class. After graduation, Boyd wished for better pay and found a job in Ephrata, WA, where he taught Jr. High science for 2 years. He then received an offer to teach in the Portland, OR, area ... Parkrose School District. Here he taught fifth grade at Thompson Elementary for one year, then 7th, 8th, and 9th grade science at Fremont Jr. High for 20 years. When he moved to Portland, the family moved into a very small two bedroom house on Klickitat St. Being an industrious man after a couple years he built a beautiful large colonial house on the property in front of the small house ... The property was a junior half acre. Many great things were built for the family to enjoy. In 1971, Boyd received a Federal Science Advancement Grant. He used the grant to attend Oregon State University for one year and received his Master’s Degree. He learned to love geology and shared so much knowledge with his students and family about the earth’s growth. In 1977, they moved to Vancouver, WA. Here he had plans to develop the 7½ acres they purchased ... and he did.
After retirement from teaching in 1979-80, Boyd studied to receive his Real Estate license. It was a strangely difficult time in the Real Estate business. He worked the business for a couple years then shifted to learning the insurance business. He opened his own independent insurance agency and had some good success. People loved Boyd and Beth because they were people of great integrity. During this time Boyd helped build a home for his daughter and son-in-law. He also totally remodeled a home on “P” St. which served for a time as the insurance office. His grandkids loved that house because it had so many unique areas to explore and was so well transformed.
Boyd was a wise but humble man, a lifelong learner, amazing teacher, dreamer, inventor, creator and builder. He was kind, respectful, generous, a true service oriented man and he forgave freely.
Boyd was never ashamed of his love of our Savior or of his membership in The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints. He loved his eternal companion Beth and their six children, Vonda Gunn (Sam B.), Lee M. Allred (Becky), Brian M. Allred (Tamera), Elaine Blume (Ken), Gayle Howard (Baron Fenn), Brett M. Allred. He had 21 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren. His greatest desire was to have an eternal family. We will all miss him, but we will all carry with us the things he taught us and pass those good things on to the future generations.
We wish to thank the caregivers and staff at The Hampton Salmon Creek Memory Care and the Kaiser Hospice nurses who served Boyd and us as family. This has been a crazy year and for nine months we could only visit through a window, but at least we could visit. Thanks also to Northwood Park Funeral Home for their care and assistance.
A “Family Only” graveside service will be held Jan. 30 at Northwood Park Cemetery.
Please share a memory @

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in The Columbian on Jan. 24, 2021.
No memorial events are currently scheduled. To offer your sympathy during this difficult time, you can now have memorial trees planted in a National Forest in memory of your loved one.
Memories & Condolences
Not sure what to say?
1 entry
January 24, 2021
From my perspective of teaching with Boyd for 20 years, He was one of the “good guys” and that meant something in those days.
Ron Pedersen
Invite others to add memories
Share to let others add their own memories and condolences