January 21, 1927 ~ October 18, 2012

Lloyd D. Ness, 85, of Vancouver, WA, died Oct. 18, 2012 at Ray Hickey Hospice House, surrounded by his family. He was born Jan. 21, 1927 in Minot, ND to Oscar and Alice Ness. When Lloyd was growing up in Minot, ND, he would take his younger sister ice-skating on a small pond close to their house that had a railroad car with a wood burning stove to keep them warm. In the early 1940s he would spend the summers helping his grandparents (Olavus and Lena Ness) with their farm.
During WWII, he joined his family in Vancouver as a part of the war effort in the Portland/Vancouver shipyards, helping to build Liberty ships. Lloyd worked evening shifts in the shipyards while going to school in the morning.
He joined the Army during the Korean War and was stationed at Fort Belvoir, VA, where he met his future wife, Charity Wheless, on a blind date near Washington, DC.
Lloyd graduated from The University of Washington, with a degree in Civil Engineering and was offered a job before graduating, in San Francisco in the late 1950s.
He married Charity (eloping to Reno, NV) soon after moving to San Francisco. His oldest son, Gregory, was born in 1958 in San Francisco, six months before Lloyd accepted a job helping to build a hydroelectric power dam near Kaptai, Bangladesh. The three of them lived in the jungle near the India and Burma borders for about three years with a few dozen other expatriates from the U.S. and Europe as Lloyd worked on the dam project on the Karnaphuli River.
The Ness family moved to Raleigh, NC in 1961, where Lloyd's second son, Jeff, was born. In 1964, their third son, Derek, was born.
Lloyd worked at LE Wooten and Company and the North Carolina Department of Conservation and Development, where he helped in large construction projects across North Carolina, as well as construction and improvements at state parks.
Lloyd and family moved back to Vancouver in 1972, while he worked at Pacific Coast Fabricating Company and Christensen Motor Yachts.
After his wife Charity passed away, he retired to take care of his "special" son Jeff, who is handicapped. A few years later, he married one of Charity's best friends, Gray T. Ray, whose husband had passed away years earlier. Lloyd and Jeff moved backed to Raleigh and enjoyed being with Gray and near Charity's family living near Louisburg, NC. They lived in Raleigh until 2005 when Lloyd and Jeff moved back to Vancouver.
Lloyd is survived by his wife, Gray T. Ness; sons, Gregory (Teresa) Ness of San Jose, CA, Jeff Ness and Derek Ness of Vancouver; grandchildren, Tara Ness, Kyle Ness and Kaylee Ness; and sister, Eunice Hall.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Charity Ness.
A memorial service for Lloyd will be held, 11:00 a.m., Sat., Oct. 27, 2012 at Hamilton-Mylan Funeral Home.
Memorial donations are appreciated to the .
Please share memories at www.Hamiltonmylan.com and www.columbian.com/obits.


Published in The Columbian on Oct. 24, 2012